What is the implication if I turn from KEEP to Backup-Standby in SplitBrain

What is the implication if I turn from KEEP to Backup-Standby in SplitBrain

DouglasJD
As suject

Re: What is the implication if I turn from KEEP to Backup-Standby in SplitBrain

A split brain is: Both HA instances are running STANDALONE without a replication connection to each other.

The split brain config is for the case when they reconnect. The config configures the actions of both instances.

If you have "keep" defined, this instance will always keep running as STANDALONE and will not shut down on a re-join. So it's a good practice to configure the other instance as "backup-and-standby".

If you have "backup-and-standby" for HA instance 2 configured, this instance will backup it's persistent store and join in as STANDBY (HA instance 1 will be ACTIVE). So you are using the persistent store of HA instance 1 here but you have the persistent store of HA instance 2 at your disposition because it has been saved.

Useful combinations are therefore:

stop | stop
keep | stop
stop | keep
keep | backup-and-standby
backup-and-standby | keep

Re: What is the implication if I turn from KEEP to Backup-Standby in SplitBrain

DouglasJD
I have tried keep | back-and-standby. The HA2 will restart as Standby automatically when it recorvery from split brain. But it seems only be able to configure in xml file. May I know from you that How can I  configure keep | backup-and-standby  via Explorer UI?

Re: What is the implication if I turn from KEEP to Backup-Standby in SplitBrain

You can't set that with Explorer because these are instance-local configurations.

But you can use watchdog.