SwiftMQ 9.2.5 - OutOfMemoryError - GC overhead limit exceeded with 1GB max heap limit

SwiftMQ 9.2.5 - OutOfMemoryError - GC overhead limit exceeded with 1GB max heap limit

sanjan
Hi, I have a SwiftMQ 9.2.5 router running with Max Heap 1GB configured.
But I got this Garbage Collection related OOM Error last night.

Got OutOfMemoryError:
    ThreadGroup: net.connection
    ActiveTask : 10.150.4.25:47488
Stack Trace:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
        at com.swiftmq.jms.MessageImpl.readProperties(Unknown Source)
        at com.swiftmq.jms.MessageImpl.readContent(Unknown Source)
        at com.swiftmq.jms.MessageImpl.readContent(Unknown Source)
        at com.swiftmq.jms.smqp.v510.SMQPUtil.read(Unknown Source)
        at com.swiftmq.jms.smqp.v510.ProduceMessageRequest.readContent(Unknown Source)
        at com.swiftmq.tools.dump.Dumpalizer.construct(Unknown Source)
        at com.swiftmq.impl.jms.standard.v510.InboundReader.dataAvailable(Unknown Source)
        at com.swiftmq.impl.jms.standard.VersionSelector.dataAvailable(Unknown Source)
        at com.swiftmq.impl.net.standard.scheduler.BlockingHandler.chunkCompleted(Unknown Source)
        at com.swiftmq.net.protocol.smqp.SMQPInputHandler.setBytesWritten(Unknown Source)
        at com.swiftmq.net.protocol.smqp.SMQPInputHandler.setBytesWritten(Unknown Source)
        at com.swiftmq.impl.net.standard.scheduler.BlockingHandler.run(Unknown Source)
        at com.swiftmq.impl.threadpool.standard.PoolThread.run(Unknown Source)

Can you figure out the cause from the stack trace above? I thought GC issues would happen with higher heap memory sizes. not 1GB heap.

Re: SwiftMQ 9.2.5 - OutOfMemoryError - GC overhead limit exceeded with 1GB max heap limit

sanjan
Also for All these kind of exceptions, could you modify the code to print time stamp with the stack trace?

Re: SwiftMQ 9.2.5 - OutOfMemoryError - GC overhead limit exceeded with 1GB max heap limit

An out of memory will always happen if the JVM can't allocate more memory no matter what your heap size is. You need to check where you consume the resources that leads to the OOM.

Same here with the v510 client.