Monitoring of "Free RAM" returns invalid values

Monitoring of "Free RAM" returns invalid values

TheQL
Amongst many other things we monitor this value via SNMP: /.env/router-memory-list/routerXY?free-memory=1.3.6.1.4.1.16683.1.2.1.1.10.1.1.2.6.70.82.65.95.72.65

I now noticed that sometimes it returns negative values, I can show you how this looks in a graph:graph.png

This is no really big deal, but a little irritating.

Re: Monitoring of "Free RAM" returns invalid values

This might be an overflow. The management tree's highest numbers are java.lang.Integer (kind of history). If a value > Integer.MAX_VALUE is transferred, it turns negative. This needs to be solved in future.

Re: Monitoring of "Free RAM" returns invalid values

TheQL
Maybe this happens because the GC timer is triggered. I am monitoring for "Free RAM" but triggering the GC on used RAM, this is probably not optimal and maybe even too early, but we had the occasional memory leak in the past so I am commited to checking memory consumption in some way.