Inbound Mailbridges not picking up all mail

Inbound Mailbridges not picking up all mail

TheQL
Hello,

I have encountered this for years now but mainly ignored it. Nevertheless it is a problem and now I would like to address it.

We employ several mailbridges, inbound and outbound and from time to time, quite seldomly, there are inbound mails that are just not picked up by the mailbridge.

These mails look just like others and there is no error logged from the bridge. It is just that the mail is not picked up and remains in the spoolfile. When I "su" to the user and run "mail" I can see these mails in the inbox just fine, I have no idea why they are not collected. As you can see from the dates, mails before, in-between and afterwards work just fine, it is not that these mails "block" the entire account until they are removed manually.

[lag-live@mailbox1.mb ~]$ mail
Mail version 8.1 6/6/93.  Type ? for help.
"/var/spool/mail/lag-live": 4 messages
>   1 MAILER-DAEMON@mailbo  Wed Mar 02 17:41  13/564   "DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA"
    2 user@domain.de     Thu May 31 08:13 126/7905  "data from FRA for"
    3 user@domain.de     Wed Mar 20 09:59 130/8152  "data from HAY for"
    4 user@domain.de     Fri May  3 14:26 122/7616  "data from STR for"
& q
Held 4 messages in /var/spool/mail/lag-live

As I have deactivated that account now I can leave it in this state if you need me to try anything, but it is our live environment. I might be able to find a similar situation in test.

Re: Inbound Mailbridges not picking up all mail

Can you mark them as unread and see if that works?

Re: Inbound Mailbridges not picking up all mail

TheQL
That did in fact work, thank you!

But how did the mail got marked read and can't that flag just be ignored? I can't imagine why I would keep read mail in a mailbox polled by a bridge.

Re: Inbound Mailbridges not picking up all mail

It is configured to fetch all unread messages. I don't know why these messages were marked as read. May be someone checked the mailbox with an eMail client ...

Re: Inbound Mailbridges not picking up all mail

TheQL
That is highly unlikely but hard to prove right now... I will keep an eye on it!

Would you recommend using POP > IMAP?
We are running a mostly unconfigured out-of-the-box dovecot on our mailbox Servers, as their sole purpose is to provide accounts for SwiftMQ Mailbridge. Polling happens via IMAP.

Re: Inbound Mailbridges not picking up all mail

I would recommend IMAP as it is the newer protocol. POP3 is quite old.

Re: Inbound Mailbridges not picking up all mail

TheQL
Good, also I haven't given up hope that maybe one day the mailbridge will support IMAP idle.

Also, as I can't definitely say why the messages were marked read, I would appreciate an option to just fetch all mail, regardless of their state. Maybe you could take this into consideration. Thanks!

Re: Inbound Mailbridges not picking up all mail

TheQL
This post was updated on .
One other thing just hit my eye.

We have two mailbox servers, each holding the same accounts and balancing them via MX records.

On both servers all accounts that do hold mail show roughly the same dates.

I can assure you that nobody has ever configured one of these accounts in his mail client, and absolutely not both servers at the same time. What is more likely in my opinion, is that there might have been some kind of incident or problem with SwiftMQ, maybe split-brain situation or we killed the router and somehow the mail got marked read before it was received. Or maybe it even got received, but wasn't deleted. In the latter case it might even be sensible to not deliver the same message twice, although we should be able to handle that. Maybe you can imagine that something of this kind happened and caused the read state of the mails. I will post an example:

[recipient@mailbox1.mb ~]$ mail
Mail version 8.1 6/6/93.  Type ? for help.
"/var/spool/mail/recipient": 8 messages
>   1 MAILER-DAEMON@mailbo	Mon Mar 05 16:02  13/564   "DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA"
    2 sender				Wed Mar 20 09:46 285/19550 "App Data from NBG"
    3 sender				Wed Mar 20 09:48  72/4012  "AES-Message from BER for MRN o App"
    4 sender				Wed Mar 20 09:48 306/20978 "App Data from EMOHAM"
    5 sender				Wed Mar 20 12:49  91/5922  "App --> ATLAS: (EXT_PRE) MRN: Gestellt"
    6 sender				Mon Apr 29 19:55 258/17577 "App Data from FRA"
    7 sender				Fri May  3 14:26  89/5262  "AES-Message from JET for MRN to App"
    8 sender				Sat May  4 07:33 9654/742184 "ClearingCenter EDI Message"
& q
Held 8 messages in /var/spool/mail/recipient

[recipient@mailbox2.mb ~]$ mail
Mail version 8.1 6/6/93.  Type ? for help.
"/var/spool/mail/recipient": 7 messages
>   1 MAILER-DAEMON@mailbo  Fri Sep 14 13:17  13/566   "DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA"
    2 sender				Wed Mar 20 09:46 259/17495 "App Data from HAJ"
    3 sender				Wed Mar 20 09:49  72/4030  "AES-Message from SFX for MRN to App"
    4 sender				Wed Mar 20 09:49 235/15806 "App Data from JEN"
    5 sender				Mon Apr 29 19:55 310/21337 "App Data from FRA"
    6 sender				Fri May  3 14:26 266/18123 "App Data from STR"
    7 sender				Fri Sep 27 12:47 107/6537  "Message from HAM for MRN to App"
& q
Held 7 messages in /var/spool/mail/recipient

Re: Inbound Mailbridges not picking up all mail

Yes, may be a failover etc. IMAP is not transactional. That is, there is 1) fetch 2) process 3) delete in this sequence. If there is a disconnect after 1) or 2) then the message is marked as read and stays there.