Impact of number of consumers on overall performance

Impact of number of consumers on overall performance

MikeA
What is the impact of a relatively large number of consumers to overall router performance? I know this is all relative, so it might be hard to quantify, but I'll ask anyway:

Can someone explain - is the overall system performance impacted in a linear realtionship to the number of consumers? What's the resource impact for creating multiple consumers to a message queue? What system metrics can I watch to see how the number of consumers is impacting the system?

If I add consumers to one queue, could that impact the performance of other queues - assuming we haven't maxed out on queues or threads, etc.

My intuition tells me the system would mostly be impacted by number of queues, retention levels, data rates, etc. - not so much by the number of consumers.

Thanks,
MikeA

Re: Impact of number of consumers on overall performance

Multiple consumers will compete on a single queue which adds synchronization overhead. They also lock different message ranges.

An alternative is to use a Clustered Queue instead. Look here (JMS Usage / Multiple Queue Consumer vs Local Clustering).