HA router file outbound.spool

TheQL
Hi,

I was wondering what this file is?
It resides next to the ha.state file in haspool, currently we have a constantly growing file of 2.8GB on the active router. Version is 9.3.1

Can this file be shrunk or removed somehow, as it is filling the FS?

Re: HA router file outbound.spool

This file is used during active-sync-prepare to receive a snapshot of the whole persistent store which is sent to the standby. Subsequently, the file is used as a swap for the memory spool. To reduce the size, check the size of your page.db at the active and, when it is small, restart the standby to force a new sync which will create a new spool file.

Is this new behaviour? I can't recall seeing this file a few versions ago. Also, what if my page.db isn't small, or what is small, what is not?
Subsequently, how does the HA router benefit from this spool file? The state of the routers is supposed to be in sync, I fail to see the use of this file on the active instance.

Re: HA router file outbound.spool

TheQL
Digging this up as we recently added monitoring on the outbound.spool file to better understand when and why it grows.

Would you consider this more or less normal? It seems to grow pretty fast, then stops and then grows again. Can this be prevented by adding more RAM to the process or does it always swap?

outbound.png

Re: HA router file outbound.spool

Hmmm... this files only grows during sync or if you send very large messages. Look here (Configurable Entities -> Spool).

Re: HA router file outbound.spool

TheQL
We do have one particular queue that sometime holds a lot of messages which are between 2 and 3 MB in size. If this is a sufficient reason for the spool file to grow, should I increase the maximum cache size to a larger value than 5120 KB to prevent file growth or doesn't it work like that?

Re: HA router file outbound.spool

Yes, increase it. The spool file is the swap-out buffer before it is being sent over the rep channel.