Compression?

Anders Bengtsson
Hi,

We're planning to deploy brokers on two sides of a slow network link. Since the link is already highly used we are worried that we will fill up the network capacity with our messages.

Is there some kind of compression built into SwiftMQ for broker-to-broker connections? Some old info on SwiftMQ mentions compression as a feature, but I haven't been able to find anything about it in current documentation.
Is it available? Maybe even used by default? Can it be activated with some configuration option?

Our messages are in XML, so we think compression could make a big difference.

cheers

/Anders

Re: Compression?

SwiftMQ has had compression in very early releases. Because the Java compression stuff used native libs and these libs have had massive problems on some platforms (like memory leaks) at that time plus there're not much (if at all) performance improvement due to compression, we removed it completely.

You can configure the message exchange on routing connection. E.g. at your routing listener specify

inbound-transaction-size="1"

to have only a single messages per routing transaction. Another option is of course to compress your XML content yourself and send a BytesMessage.